Helen’s Veggie Risotto
I love risotto, and this recipe is really flexible. I added some chicken but you could eat it alone it’s that tasty! You can change the veg and put anything you like in. It’s really good with salmon too. This recipe makes a decent portion for one or a side for two.
1 small courgette
1 small onion
1 stick of celery
A few sticks of asparagus
1 garlic clove
About 75g of arborio rice
1 stock cube with about a litre of boiling water
salt and pepper
grated parmesan (as much as you like)
About a tablespoon of oil
Knob of butter
- Heat the oil and melt the butter into a large frying pan. Once melted, add the onion, garlic and all the veg.
- Gently fry for a few minutes, until the courgette starts to colour slightly, then add the rice and cook until it goes a little see-through at the edges.
- Add the stock a ladel full at a time, making sure all the stock in the pan is absorbed before adding the next ladel. If you run out of stock then just add boiling water.
- Keep doing this until the rice is soft. If the rice takes ages to soften, you might want to take the courgette out and add them back again right at the end. This way it’ll be nice and flavoursome but not too mushy.
- Once you’re happy with the texture of the rice, remove from the heat and add the parmesan. Don’t worry if the risotto isn’t quite at the right consistency, put a lid on the pan for a minute or so and it’ll get there.